Is bread one of the bad foods for your cholesterol? Here is the list of products to avoid.
You are worried about your cholesterol level in your body? This can be understood, the latter is so demonized in our time that it is often synonymous with poor health, heart attack, etc. But, it remains very little known in reality and cholesterol does not have a good press, it is therefore necessary to explain what it really is. So let’s see what is this lipid and what foods are bad for cholesterol long-term.
What is cholesterol? What is the difference between HDL and LDL?
To begin with, what is cholesterol? How distinguish HDL from LDL cholesterol ? Cholesterol is a type of lipid, so bold produced by the liver. But it is also present in the foods we eat, those that are said to be “bad for cholesterol”. To be in healthyyou need cholesterol, but in excessit can be dangerous for you if it exceeds a certain verifiable rate on a blood test.
Cholesterol is transported in the blood by so-called “lipoproteins”: LDLs (Low Density Lipoprotein) and low density proteins, i.e. HDLs (High Density Lipoprotein). This cholesterol in your blood is therefore calculated by the synthesis of HDL and LDL.
HDL cholesterol, also called good cholesterol is deposited in the arteries and transported to the liver, which then takes care of its elimination. But also, it frees the arteries from deposits of bad lipids, LDL for example. HDL is estimated at 30% of the cholesterol present in the blood.
For its part, the LDL, or bad cholesterol, is present in many foods. It represents about 70% of the total contained in the blood. It is he who tends to block the arteries.
SEE ALSO: Does beer make you fat? The answer will surprise you!
Misconceptions about cholesterol: debunking prejudices
- No, cholesterol does not only affect the obese people or overweight. Moreover, some so-called obese people have normal cholesterol levels.
- Yes it is possible to do lower your cholesterol level by readapting his way of life (sport) and his diet.
- No, you don’t have no need to ban all foods bad for cholesterol. Nevertheless, these should be consumed in small quantities, without excess to avoid health concerns.
- Yes, cholesterol has the effect of clog the arteries long-term and can therefore be dangerous over time.
- No, cholesterol does not only affect the people of a certain age. It can affect the youngest as well as the oldest. Simply, it is more common to have high cholesterol levels in the blood when you are older because of its accumulation over the years and because the body defends its territory less well after 40 years.
SEE ALSO: How many calories are in an apple?
Is bread one of the bad foods for cholesterol?
It is customary to believe that certain foods are bad for our health because they increase the bad cholesterol in our blood. And, it is a reality. The bread, in particular, is renowned for this, but is it true? In reality, bread is indeed loaded with cholesterol, but some breads are more dense and conducive to LDL than others.
In particular those made from saturated fats of animal origin such as milk, butter or eggs. This is the case of the Briochefor example, from sliced bread and white bread. In addition, it is therefore more recommended to consume cereal bread and whole wheat bread.
But, again, in small quantities. In general, avoid eating too much bread in a single day. We recommend four slices maximum per day. It can be six with wholemeal bread, but not every day.
SEE ALSO: Why shouldn’t you eat too many eggs?
What foods are bad for your cholesterol? Which ones to limit?
But then, what are the foods to limit, which ones are bad for cholesterol? In general, tell yourself that you should eat everything, but not in excess. This is all the more true for these foods that are very strong in bad cholesterol. Here is a non-exhaustive list.
- From dairy products made with animal milk, many foods are to be limited during a day. We must, once again, not do without them, but limit them. For example: whole milk, fatty cheeses, butter, creams…
- the white bread, sandwich bread, briocheetc.
- The Red meatthe pork and the processed meats such as sausages, deli meats should also be limited.
- All the processed foods (cooked meals, biscuits, cakes, etc.) should be limited because these foods contain bad cholesterol.
- Mayonnaise, but also the others sauces egg and oil based.
- The fried foods are not recommended to lower its level in the blood because they have too much fat.
- The pastries and pastries.
- L’Palm oil, but also sunflower, rapeseed and olive oil should be limited. Palm oil in particular.
- the Egg yolk. Generally, only one egg per meal consumed is recommended.
- The offal (liver, kidney, tripe…).
SEE ALSO: Top 5 sports for lazy people
What habits for a better cholesterol level?
- Replace your white foods with foods that aren’t bad for cholesterol, made with wholemeal flour. Rice, pasta, wholemeal bread.
- Don’t use too much fat per day, including oils. Avoid fried foods, products that are too buttery, too greasy, processedtoo sweet.
- Do some sport regularly for 20 minutes a day.
- Consume more than vegetables, fiber and fruit. Steamed vegetables are particularly recommended, for example.