Pelé’s relatives at his bedside in hospital during the Christmas holidays

Relatives of Pelé met on Saturday, Christmas Eve, with the Brazilian soccer legend, whose health condition has recently deteriorated, according to their social media posts.

Pelé, 82, who suffers from colon cancer discovered in September 2021, has been hospitalized in Sao Paulo since the end of November and his doctors had reported on Wednesday a “progression” of his cancer as well as an “insufficiency of kidney and heart.

“Father, my strength is with you”

His son Edinho posted a photo on Instagram of him taking Pelé’s hand, with the caption: “father, my strength is with you”.

Edinho, technical director of soccer club Londrina in the southern state of Parana, joined two of his sisters, Flavia and Kely Nascimento, at the Albert Einstein Hospital on Saturday, who have been very close to Pelé in recent days. “He has arrived,” Kely Nascimento wrote on Instagram in the caption of photos showing Edinho and his daughters, Sophia and Stephany Nascimento.

Edinho made the trip despite the fact that the day before he had apologized for not being able to be with his father. “I want to be here, but today I have obligations here. I’m not a doctor, I couldn’t be of much help,” he told the daily Estadao on Friday.

“One More Night Together”

Late Friday, Kely Nascimento had posted, still on Instagram, a moving picture of Pelé and her embracing him in his hospital bed, only half of his face visible, equipped with nasal cannulas for breathing assistance. “One more night together,” the caption read, “we’re still here, in the fight and in the faith.”

Just before the publication of an alarming health report from Pelé on Wednesday, his two daughters announced that they would spend Christmas in hospital with the legendary ex-striker, “for different reasons”.

No particular activity was noticeable on Saturday in front of the Einstein hospital, where only a few journalists waited for news about the only soccer player to ever win the World Cup three times (1958, 1962, 1970), AFP-TV noted.

Pelé was admitted to Einstein Hospital for a respiratory infection following contamination with Covid-19 and for a re-evaluation of his cancer treatment, the chemotherapy he was undergoing had apparently been ineffective.

Leave a Comment