Google Maps can notify you whenever someone close to you arrives or leaves a place
If you still think Google Maps is just a navigation and maps app, it’s because you haven’t been paying too much attention to the latest news hitting the platform. Update after update, Maps becomes an increasingly complete and useful service, with new features such as the possibility of setting up alerts that tell you if a person has arrived at a place, or has left it.
This is a feature intended for use with close family or friends, and is part of the real-time location option available in Google Maps. We’ll walk you through how it works, along with steps to use it easily.
Create location alerts on Google Maps for your friends or family step by step
As we explained a while ago, Google Maps allows you to constantly share your location in real time with other people. This utility was created with the aim of giving users a measure of safety and protection for their loved ones, such as parents who want to know if their children are arriving at school safely every day.
A few months ago, Google decided to take this feature one step further, giving users the ability to set location alerts. In this way, by specifying an address, we will receive a notification on the mobile when the other person has arrived or left the site in question.
To create this type of alerts, you just need to follow these steps:
- Open the Google Maps app on your mobile
- Tap on the profile picture which will appear in the upper right corner of the screen
- In the menu, tap on “location”.
- To start location sharing with a new person, tap the “with someone” button, if you want to set a notification for someone you already share the location with, tap their name at the bottom of the screen
- When you’ve started sharing the location permanently, tap “Add” in the “Notifications” section
- Choose the desired location to create an alert and choose whether you want to be notified each time the other person arrives or leaves
Keep in mind that the other person will be notified when you set such an alert. Plus, you’ll know at all times that you’re permanently sharing your location with you, and you can stop doing so whenever you want.